This is in response to my friend’s post on October 8th,
2012 her blog themeetcutecollector.blogspot.com After reading about a chance
encounter between her two fictional characters, I got inspired to tell you all
about two random past chance encounters that happened to me in real life.
The 1st:
Chance Taken
About two years ago in December I
was shopping in Soho for presents for my friends for Hanukkah. When I was
finished I got into the subway station at Broadway/Lafayette on the F train
going downtown to Brooklyn. A minute passes and an older man seemingly in his
late 30s stands next to me on the platform. He was wearing dark jeans and a
black leather jacket and kept looking over and making eye contact at me. When
the train arrived there were a ton of people on the train so the man and I had
to stand next to each other side by side leaning against the door. Me with my
two huge bags listening to my ipod and him just standing there glancing over at
me from time to time. I would look up and he would be staring at me until he
looked away. I didn't think he was unattractive but I did think it was odd he
would be staring at me every time I looked up.
When we finally arrived in Brooklyn
he got off at the Bergen St. along with a ton of other people on the train so
it became far less crowded. Once he got off I noticed he was just standing
there and deliberately looking at me without looking away. I smiled and so did
he, along with a wave. I think he was waving for me to get off the train, but I
had somewhere to be and was running late. He started to laugh as the doors
closed and I couldn't help but laugh and smile myself. Off the train went and I
didn't see him again.
It wasn't until days later I was
looking on craigslist for part time jobs that I noticed the missed connections
posting. I was curious and so I clicked it and searched through the post and
found that someone had posted about the exact same incident that took place
between me and this guy. I was surprised so, I responded by e-mailing the
posting and describing my side of the story, what I was wearing, the bags I had
with me, and a little while later he responded and said it was him. He asked me
to brunch and so I couldn't refuse. That weekend I met him and he was really
nice, charming, sweet, and incredibly generous. We had a pleasant conversation
about his job, he was a hotel architect/real estate developer, and then walked
around the neighborhood of Brooklyn Heights. Though he was nice enough, I didn't
think I was really all that into him, so I thanked him for a nice time and made
plans to chat again. We text for a little while but nothing progressed further
than that one time connection.
The 2nd:
Chance Missed
A couple of weeks ago in September
on a Thursday evening, I was coming home late from a night of bonding with coworkers
at a bar and went into the train station at 14th street and 6th
Ave taking the F train downtown to Brooklyn once again. I was wearing a suit
but was holding on to my jacket and my bag, listening to ipod and reading New
York Mag. I had been waiting about 5 minutes when a taller white male came down
the stairs and made direct eye contact with me. He had on a sweater and cut off jeans with flip flops and looked to be about late 20s. He passed me and stood
against the pole behind me when the train came. As I turned I noticed he had
been staring at me.
Once the train opened its
doors we each got onto the train from separate entrances and went to the same
area of seats that had nobody sitting in them. We each stopped suddenly and
waited for a second until I sat down and then instead of sitting down next to
me where there was absolutely nobody and clearly enough room for 2 more people,
he chose to wedge himself in between two larger people so he could be directly
in front of me. I looked up at him and he was smiling as he listened to his
music and I looked into my bag for a pen. I flipped to the back of the magazine
and started to work on the crossword looking up from time to time thinking
about an answer and finding that the guy was looking at me. We had only gone
three stops until we got to 2nd Ave and he got up to leave. I looked
up once again and smiled at him. When he doors opened he left and so that was
that. I didn't see him walk from my peripheral vision away so I turned to see
maybe he went the opposite direction and came face to face with him in the
window. He smiled so did I and then we laughed. Even after all this, I didn't
get off the train and never got his name or number or anything. I immediately
went onto craigslist and posted about the encounter we just had thinking that
he would at least know about that and check. It’s now the 10th of
October and I haven’t heard or seen him again.
Unfortunately, another opportunity gone, but that’s
okay. Like you all know, I've been on two dates with another guy and it’s going
extremely well. We’re taking things slow but you all know you’ll read about the
progression and how things are going.
Until next time, good luck on all your searches.
Max! This is great! I would love to use your story in my book if you'll let me! Let's chat :)
ReplyDelete