We met at 7pm and I didn't leave his place until about
1pm Saturday afternoon. No, we did not have sex as I’m sure all of you think we
did, whether you choose to believe me or not. Honestly, I would have loved to
have done it but it was only a first date and isn't sex on a first date a
little sleazy? I mean, I feel like sex on first date kind of kills any
potential possibility of connecting further. Sex on first date seems to imply
that the date probably didn't go all that well, and he didn't sweep you off
your feet, but he’s attractive enough and didn’t eat any garlic/onions so why not get off.
I met him on OkCupid, a little more
upscale dating-wise when compared to adam4adam or manhunt. On those sites it’s
all about pretending to be interested in whatever the guy has to say until
someone makes the first move in taking off their shirt or unzipping their fly.
I've been on those types of get-togethers. This date wasn't about that. I
actually took the time to get to know him even before the date happened. We had
exchanged messages back and forth for a couple weeks, only because his and my
schedule didn't really allow a lot of meet-up time. He’s been really busy as
well as I have.
I arrived just two minutes before
the meeting time and within those two minutes I was already reconsidering my
outfit choice. I had work in the morning and needed to dress up for a corporate
visit so I wore a pink-button down, yellow striped bow-tie, and grey vest,
always with my signature brown plaid newsboy cap. I was kicking myself for
wearing the bow-tie. I didn't want to come off as pretentious. Then he walked in,
and I immediately calmed down. He was just as cute as his pictures made him out
to be, and he wore these awesome, overly blue-framed eye glasses (a pair of
which Sir Elton John also has).
He was incredibly articulate
compared to my stuttering babble. Vastly intellectual in the world of pop
culture: theater, movies, music. I felt like most of the conversation consisted
of me asking question after question about his life. He’s working on his PhD in
theater and wants to become a professor. He also works for CLAGS, Center of
Lesbian and Gay Studies and also teaches undergraduate classes. You don’t find
guys like that; who are cultured, witty, smart, and motivated as he is but
still finds time to organize a Thanksgiving Day feast for Canada’s Thanksgiving.
There’s definitely chemistry going
on back and forth as he ate his tuna sliders. He’s dropping references that
most of the time I’m picking up on and others I should have picked up on. I
have to admit I did my research before the date. I went back onto his profile
and wrote down key pointers about him, his life, and stuff he mentioned in our
messages back and forth, all to be used as fallback for any lull in the
conversation. I didn't need any of that. Conversation was consistent and flowed
from topic to topic easily. After the dinner, which he graciously paid for (I
will obviously pay for the next time, and yes, there is definitely going to be
second date) we went to grab drinks with my friends downtown in the east
village. A bit of a stretch for a first date, but I’m glad he came with, and I’m
glad both parties liked each other, he my friends and my friends him.
After an evening of drinks, a little
dancing, and karaoke, he hailed for cab and invited me back to his place for a
night-cap. I accepted and off we went to the upper-upper east side. Once we
arrive at his studio which he lives in by himself, he opens a bottle of red
wine and pours two glasses and off we go to his roof—gorgeous view of the
skyline of downtown Manhattan. The clock finally read 6:30 when we decided to
go to bed after talking and playing silly games back in his apartment (which
was filled with plays, books, dvds—all research materials for his PhD).
I woke up to find out he has already
gotten out of bed to brush his teeth to sneak back under the covers—absolutely unfair.
Taken right out of from the scene of Bridesmaids, but it was cute. I couldn't fault him I probably would have done the same. We stayed in bed for most of the
day until we finally had to get up so he could make his 2pm date with Edward
Albee (he had tickets to go see “Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?”). Date number
2: Monday night with me cooking him dinner. More to follow with this
interesting, handsome, Canadian boy.
No comments:
Post a Comment