Thursday, January 24, 2013

New Year, New Experiences


            You know once again, I dropped the ball on updating this blog, but that’s only because my love life has not been interesting since the last time I wrote about it. I have had a lot of things happen so this post is going to be random because I’m going to have many little stories.
            First of all there’s New Year’s Eve. I didn’t get to go upstate to see my friends and party by a lake house, which would have been awesome, but instead, I went to a party in Astoria with my friend Shane. He got invited to this party from his friend John. I normally dress a little crazy with sequins and bowties, and try to look fun for that holiday so at least the next year will have some humor in it. Anyway, so I mistakenly thought it was a friend from work whom I had met who was also gay and my choice of silver sequin cardigan wouldn’t matter. Truth be told, on the train right before we got there it was his friend from his all boy catholic high school who’s party we were attending. Well, I just looked dumb and probably not going to make any friends at this party, but instead, my outfit was the ice-breaker I needed. Everyone came up to me and said my outfit was awesome, and totally cool, and pretty much I had a great time. Anyway, during the party, I found a small gathering in the kitchen where I met this guy named Guy (literally that’s his name). He was wearing a t-shirt about a shoe company so I asked him about and turns out it’s for the upcoming Broadway musical “Kinky Boots”, which I’m ecstatic about. He was super cute and sweet and introduced me to other people in his circle. On a side note, I don’t know what is it, but it seems as if different groups of people at a party and all the gays seem to flock towards one another, why is that? I had been chatting with Guy for about an hour until another guy came into the circle and Guy turns to me and says, “Meet my boyfriend.” It should be illegal to say that kind of filth at a party especially when you’ve been trying to flirt with this guy for over an hour and right before New Year’s. Not only that, but then the other guy I was interested in at this party ended up spending the night with one of the hosts of the party. I didn’t even know one of the hosts was gay, great. New Year’s though, all in all was fantastic and I did have a great time.
            About a week later I was having dinner with a friend who I haven’t seen in a while. We ate Outback Steakhouse and the dinner went normally. Nothing out of the ordinary, it was very plain and simple. It wasn’t until the check that I thought something was going on with the waiter. I hadn’t really noticed him during the dinner since my friend who I was eating with was kind of taking charge with menu and ordering and getting us appetizers and such. My friend went to the bathroom when the check came and had paid for his half of the meal in cash while I used my card. The waiter brought back our bill with a pen for me to sign and left. It wasn’t even ten seconds later when he returned and said “Feel comfortable taking your time after you sign”. I didn’t think anything of it, until I looked around. It was kind of packed and there was a line waiting to get a table and then I thought maybe he wanted me to stay longer for whatever reason. It was purely impulsive but I opened the bill again and on the top I wrote, “I’m not even sure I’m barking up the right tree, but here’s my number”. We left as soon as my friend came back from the bathroom. The following day, I get a text from the waiter telling me it’s him and if I was free later that night for coffee. I was kind of taken back since I’ve left my number before, mostly as a joke but it was clear the waiter was straight, or so NOT into me or anything, but this is one time where it actually worked. We met that night for coffee in Union Square and talked for about two hours just getting to know another and then walked to a local bar to grab a drink. He was interesting and we actually had some friends in common since he went to school for theater here in the city. Unfortunately, it was the only time I’ve seen him. I’ve been busy with work once again, doing overnights and us having different schedules. Though he was a very nice guy, I think I would just like to keep it platonic and form a good friendship.
            My last story I have for you is really about two encounters based on the same night. It started about two weeks ago on a Sunday night where I went out to a birthday party my friend, Manny, invited me too for his friend Joeff. I met his friend only once before a long time ago, and my friend is straight and they were all going to a gay club for the party. So I figured since I hadn’t seen Manny in a quite some time I’ll go. I bring my best wing man to party, Shane and we have a good time. Open bar for an hour, danced, connected with Manny again, it was totally fun. Shane went off and met this guy while I was left hanging out with Manny and Joeff and company. Well, I noticed a guy where a white and grey sweater also invited to the party and thought was completely cute, very handsome, distinguished looking and nothing that this gay club usually attracts as its customers which is great, because it wasn’t really my type of place to go out too. Anyway, I knew that there were going to be straight guys at this party because it was a birthday gathering, so I asked Manny about the guy I found cute, and he didn’t know the person. So I thought that was the end of that. I couldn’t really tell he was gay. I know that statement is going to have people up in arms because, “what is gay? What makes you gay? Being gay is a sexual preference and not a look, or gesture or something that sometimes is even easy to tell.” Manny though went to ask Joeff about him with me refusing because I was just going to give it up and not think twice. Well little do I know that Joeff comes over and grabs my hand and directs me right to this guy and basically says, “John this is Max. You guys should talk, bye.” Highly embarrassing and completely awkward, since I was drinking and had been for a while and John was sober because he was driving.
            Well, let me tell you guys. Best thing to ever happen that night was meeting John. He’s incredibly smart, funny, interesting, and I like hanging out with him. That night I asked him for his number and said I would like to see him sometime, somewhere less crowded and noisy so we could chat. The next day I texted him and saw him again that coming Friday for dinner. We ate, though we didn’t eat much, and took the food to go, and walked around. It was absolutely freezing out, and as I am, I never dress appropriately for the weather and we decided to walk around for a bit. Like a complete gentleman, he took off his jacket and gave it for me to wear. Very sappy to read, I know, but was completely sweet and I thought it was cute. We walked back to his car where he picked up a sweatshirt for himself and then we walked to get tea to warm us up. We were there for the last half hour the place was open and talked about everything. It was great because the conversation flowed and flowed and there weren’t any awkward pauses, unless to figure out what to do with our night. We had met at 8 and it was now 11pm. He was driving, so we didn’t drink, which is rare for me on a Friday night. I’m not a lush, I just happen to always be out with friends who go out Fridays. Anyway, we walked back to his car and ended up just driving in the city where the conversation turned to music. We then parked outside the Natural History Museum, and talked some more. It was romantic to park and talk even though it was slightly creepy in a “rape and murder” situation at midnight next to Central Park. The evening ended with him driving to my place and hanging out watching a movie on my laptop. Nothing sexual happened for those dirty inquiring minds. But he did end up leaving my place at 4:30 in the morning to drive back to Brooklyn. I saw him again on Sunday where we spent the entire day and evening together. Looking forward to seeing more of him in the future and seeing where this can go.

            I’ll let you guys know soon about that day on Sunday in a post that’s going to happen soon. J

No comments:

Post a Comment