Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Bold Move


            I had just worked another overnight at work last night and left around 8:30 in the morning today when the wildest thing happened to me. I’m standing on the corner of 5th avenue and 17th street when a guy who I see every so often around the same time whenever I’m on a quick 15 minute coffee run or leaving work after an overnight is standing at the corner across the street.
            It’s so funny because just yesterday I saw him again while I was walking with a friend who left work the same time I did. I basically just commented that I always happen to notice him around this same time. He’s pretty much an average seeming guy; nothing totally out of the ordinary about him in physical appearance and probably does work or go to school in the area which is why I always happen to catch him.
            Anyway, so today I cross the street and he’s checking his phone when he looks up and I catch his eye. I don’t say anything but smile as I pass and then I hear a shouted “Wait!” behind me. I assume it wasn’t for me so I continue on my way when I feel a tap on my shoulder and I turn around to find the guy standing there. This is how the whole conversation basically happens:
“Hey, do you work at the GAP across the street?”
“Ye…ees? Why?”
“Well, it’s just that I always happen to see you, and have seen you in the window a couple times changing the mannequins and such. Are you leaving? Want to grab a cup of coffee? My buy.”
Silence on my part as I try to wrap my head around what is going on in this situation.
“I’m Dave. I just work across the street and tend to see you in the windows.”
“Umm… Look, I just worked all night, I’m kind of tired.”
“So, I’ll buy you decaf. I just always happen to see you around this time. It’s funny.”
“Thanks, but, no, that’s okay.”
“Come on. I’m trying really hard to put myself out there, and you can’t reject me on my first attempt at this.”
I laugh at this because it’s very interesting how I write on this blog how I wish people could be more upfront about interactions with other people they are interested in and here I am denying him. Before I give him a definite answer, I look around for the hidden camera to make sure this wasn't some Youtube prank.
“Sure, okay. I’m Max.”
Guys, I could not make this up even if I tried. It was kind of incredible that this actually happened. We walked the block up to Union Square to the Starbucks where as promised he bought be decaf (actually, he bought me a hot chocolate lol). He’s a playwright but works in retail like all us writers out there and lives in Brooklyn. We exchanged numbers but I’m not sure how to wrap my head around this whole situation. I actually highly commend him on his approach a little weird as it was. How very strange but all anybody wants. I definitely went home feeling very good about myself. J

No comments:

Post a Comment